Thursday 16 January 2014

A licence to thrill...

For this school year, my ultimate objective is to create a thriller movie opening sequence. 


The thriller movies that I've watched over the years circulate my brain; "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", "Memento", "Unbreakable", the "Borne" trilogy and so on all have a brilliant, yet relatively gloomy narrative.




You see, I'm a fan of all things serious and brooding when it comes to films, which brings me to my main point; From the moment of knowing that my task for AS media is to create a thriller opening sequence, I've pictured something dark, something that's gritty and full, to the brim, with grey areas.





A way in which I can achieve this would be through the thriller's characters and narrative;  any protagonist, I find, is infinitely more interesting when depicted as an "antihero" and likewise for the main antagonist, because not every "bad guy" likes to kill puppies, and not every "good guy" beams sunshine from his or her backside. The setting could be a darker twist on what the viewer would find to be everyday or mundane; a world that he/she can relate to except it's a world observed through the eye's of the characters within it, possibly representing their feelings and emotions, a kind of pathetic fallacy.


An extreme example of how setting and editing can be used to convey characters and narrative, "Sin City" maintains a noir filter throughout its entire length, casting a gloomy and brooding shadow over the film. Areas of significance to the characters or narrative are in full, stylized colour and therefore draw the audiences attention as they contrast greatly with the overall darker mise en scene. 



No comments:

Post a Comment